Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Connecting in Modesto

The Modesto Central congregation in Central California Conference worships in a historically beautiful sanctuary graced by some of the loveliest stained glass windows I’ve seen. As I always do, I soaked in the visuals of the foyer as I awaited entrance into the sanctuary. Literature, bulletin board with many announcements of upcoming events, and a novel Pathfinder goal device for this summer’s Oshkosh Camporee.

As I listened to the stories from members I was impressed by the fact that a new constituent academy facility was built five-years ago debt-free. And most significantly, generous funding was given by the community to support this project. The seven churches of this constituency are blessed to have this campus without debt!

They are also excited about the upcoming Oshkosh Pathfinder Camporee. In the lobby of the church was this clever fund-raising device that showed how their local club was doing in raising money for this exciting event.

There was a good spirit during the worship hour as praise songs mixed with traditional hymns. The organist shared with me that she was a student of Dr. Warren Becker who so many of we Andrews University alumni remember with fondness. Her talents made the worship special.

My message was once again on the importance of our connection with Jesus through His Word. The scriptural selection for my sermon was John 15:1-8. There is a treasure-trove of truth in this passage which I’d like to share with you in a subsequent posting. Jesus was indeed the Master teacher.

Pastor James Scarborough was a gracious host and I thank him for opening his pulpit to me this Sabbath. He shared with me the church’s plans for 3 evangelistic meetings this year as well as a remodeling project. I pray for the Lord’s blessing on these endeavors for 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment