Sunday, March 14, 2010

Come Apart and Pray....Really?

It was the end of a long week of meetings that tackled some of the proverbial "big issues" that we grapple with as a church.  I had been away from home for a week and would've much preferred to just go home and rest.  But...how do you argue with the notion that we should stay together for another day and a half to pray together, right!?

That's how I entered into a first for Pacific Union administrators (at least to my meager knowledge!)  Conference presidents, Union officers, and a few others were going to spend Friday night and all day Sabbath in prayer and reflection.  How do you do that?  We typically move quickly from one meeting to another with little time for any corporate spirituality except for perhaps the Sabbath.

I really didn't know what to expect since this was a first for me as a church administrator.  Spending extended time with colleagues to pray was something I had done as a pastor with other pastors.  But as we gathered in the West Building of the Union headquarters for the celebration of the Lord's Supper on Friday evening, March 12, I uttered the prayer, "Well, Lord, I'm open to what you'd like to do with me."

As it turned out, by Saturday night I concluded that this was the best thing we possibly could've done as church leaders.  This WAS NOT another church committee meeting masquerading as a prayer session.  THIS was the REAL DEAL.  We actually prayed together, sang, reflected upon selected Bible and Spirit of Prophecy selections and did what we always talk about doing. We sought the Lord.  There we were no sermons.  Nobody was the center of attention.  We sought the Lord together and cared for each other spiritually!

I know that this may surprise some of our members but the people gathered in that upper room in the West Building (yes, its actually on the second floor) love God supremely, struggle with human frailty, love the church, and really long for Jesus to come.  This was the Church at its best because we were the New Testament Church at its core.

I was refreshed.  It's really true that Jesus gives you a renewal in His presence that no nap or mindless television viewing can come close to match.  And, I'm glad that we came apart to pray. Really!  I hope we do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment