Monday, February 8, 2010

Witnesses at the California Capitol

My life changed in 1999 when I was called to serve as Government Relations Director for the Pacific Union.  Our office in Sacramento became my base of operations and a staging point for some of the most amazing ministry I had experienced to that point in my life.

Today, there are two special people who are leading the work of the Church State Council office (the separately designated entity of the Pacific Union's work for religious liberty) located at 1228 N Street, Suite 1, Sacramento, CA.  At the end of this posting you can see on the map what an ideal location this is for our work in the State Capitol.

Ed Fargusson is the newly elected director of this office.  Together we visited about the work at the Council office and the opportunities that God is opening up for our work in this pivotal place.  From his rich background as a pastor and church administrator, Elder Fargusson shared, "I feel that I am exactly where God wants me to be."  Indeed, this is a calling to a special work.

Ed and I walked through the State Capitol building and talked over the strategy we use to meet and reach people with the message of religious liberty.  Rather than be embroiled in the culture war battles of the day, we are focused upon the great Gospel principles that have guided this Church's work since the pioneering days of Ellen G. White and A.T. Jones (our church's first congressional representative in the 1880's).

Our message focuses upon the bedrock foundation signified by proclamations such as:

  • "God does not coerce the conscience", 
  • "In matters of conscience the majority has no power",
  • "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's."  
Pat Silvia is the administrative assistant that helps carry out the essential support service work that keeps the office working smoothly.  She provides a kind voice on the phone to members who are having Sabbath work problems as well as helping carry out the coordinating functions that allows the Council office to successfully carry out its mission.

As we prayed together and I departed the Thayer Building I thought of the 5 years I had devoted to the work of religious liberty in this very spot.  I began to hum as I walked down the street, "To God be the Glory" and thought, "We're in good hands in Sacramento."

By the way, if you have any need of help to have Sabbath hours off of work or any other religious liberty question don't hesitate to call the office at 916-446-2552 or visit the website at www.churchstate.org.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment