Thursday, February 11, 2010

"What I Believe...."

I walked into the La Sierra University Church and almost took a worship credit slip from the student at the door.   (We had a nice visit--she is a theology senior who I will be interviewing along with other local conference leaders on March 8 when I return to the campus.)  I recalled years earlier the need for worship credit as a student at Andrews University.

I wasn't getting worship credit but I certainly was enjoying my seat at the front of church for the  Week of Spiritual Emphasis at La Sierra University.   The students took their seats, sang with gusto as the student life department led the praise songs, and listened attentively as the two professors gave their testimony about "What I Believe..."

Both of the faculty speakers were scientists (one from biology and the other from physics) and each gave a personally compelling sermonette about God's direction in our lives as Creator.  I thought that either one would do very well as a revival speaker for a local church or camp meeting.

Amidst my meetings with faculty, student life staff, and Board of Trustees, this event was a reminder of why Seventh-day Adventist higher education makes a unique difference in the spiritual formation of young adult learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment