Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Return

It was a nostalgic return for Jennifer and I when we stepped into the fellowship hall. Faces and voices not seen or heard for 20 years greeted us for the beginning of the Burr Ridge Church 30th Anniversary celebration. It was in this congregational family that I was ordained as a Seventh-day Adventist minister in 1988 so this weekend was particularly meaningful for me.

Sabbath morning I taught the Sabbath School lesson on the themes of 1 John. But as I never forgot when I was the pastor of this congregation from 1987-1989, my audience was again populated by bright minds that find it easy to express their views. Beginning my favorite
passage of the epistle--1 John 3:1-2, I talked about my own spiritual journey and then invited the class to work through 3 questions in sequence--"How has your picture of God impacted your life?", "How does this picture of God affect our congregational life?", and "How does our view of God impact our outreach in the community?" With microphone in hand I hosted the ongoing discussion. It was fun and inspiring.

Sabbath worship included two beautiful anthems by the choir and a thoughtful sermon by Dr. Darrel Ward, one of the 4 men who pastored this congregation. My contribution to the worship hour was calling for the offering--"Fall Mission Appeal." Our friends, Ken and Pat Denslow (Illinois Conference President) were in the audience and we enjoyed a nice visit during the nice luncheon that followed. A panel discussion with the 4 pastors who have served this church gave us each the opportunity to share our journeys since the Burr Ridge days as well as reflect on the current challenge of the congregation to purchased their own building.

It was a wonderful time of fellowship and reminded us how quickly this earthly life passes by but how "blessed is the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love."

No comments:

Post a Comment