Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Our Father who art in Los Angeles

I'm sitting in a small guest office room in the administrative suite of the White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles, CA at the moment. As a member of the Operating Board of this historical Adventist hospital for the past 18 months I have been learning anew why Adventist health care remains "the right arm of the church."

In my past life, I've served as a hospital chaplain, board member, ethics committee member, and visited scores of members over my ministry in hospitals. My mother-in-law is a nurse, my wife has worked in physicians offices, hospitals, at Adventist Health headquarters, and is in health care consulting today. And my children both are employed at Glendale Adventist Medical Center today.

So, I know a bit about Adventist hospitals.

But something simple moved me today. That simple something reminded me why we do this health care thing all around the world as well in a needy area in East Los Angeles.

At Noon I joined the Medical Executive Committee at the White for their meeting. As a board member I was invited at a previous meeting and really wanted to take them up on their offer. The physicians heading each hospital medical department were gathered around a very plain set of tables next to the cafeteria. The President of the Medical Staff opened the meeting. Food was sitting nearby ready to eat. And then, very matter-of-factly and obviously as a natural part of every meeting the President of the Staff said, "Let's begin with prayer."

Now, at church meetings this is quite expected. We're all Seventh-day Adventists. Most of the circles I sit in these days, we're all administrative leaders. So praying is just a normal agenda item.

But today I was looking at the circle that was ready to pray. Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Jewish, and the non-religious together at this table bowed their heads as the prayer began, "Our Father in heaven...." What followed was a beautifully simple and earnest prayer from the chair of the OB-GYN department. My heart was touched. These are men and women who want to help people fine health and they have come to an Adventist Hospital that leads them to pray together as the everyday mission of extending the caring of Jesus is administered to a community that needs us.

I'm getting ready to head to the Operating Board Meeting now. We'll talk about safety, hear budget reports, and yes...start with prayer. Prayer. It's not just for church anymore! It's for everyday life in a hospital that ministers to others in Jesus name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment