Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Lesson of Oshkosh

I look behind me to see 35,000 young people singing, praying, clapping, worshipping.

My eyes turn back to a stage that brought the story of Esther to life every night. Holding the rapt attention of Pathfinders from around the world.

Next to me sits a young man from Mexico who, with sparkling joy on his face, explains how
wonderful it is to sit on a camp chair in the middle of an airfield in Oshkosh, WI with Seventh-day Adventists his own age who are excited about Jesus.

My heart stirs with admiration and pride as thousands upon thousands of young Adventists march in parade formation past Jennifer and me. The sounds of the drums may drown out all other sounds but the smiles on the faces of children from every point of the North American compass speak volumes.

Pathfinder honors earned. Club pins exchanged. Community service projects engaged in. Wal-Mart running out of bottled water by Friday night. Camporee is like nothing else I've ever been to--including several General Conference sessions.

I leave the campground after several days feeling light, encouraged, and inspired.

The youth of our church are indeed ready and able to lead the mission of this church. These 35,000 Pathfinders--
along with their dedicated volunteer directors, counselors, and supporters--taught me this lesson in Oshkosh, WI.

No comments:

Post a Comment