Saturday, September 5, 2009

esprit de corps

In 2004 I was introduced to my first Nevada-Utah Regional Convocation in Salt Lake City, UT when I had been President of the Conference for just a few months. Still getting to know people around my field, I was impressed with the warmth and esprit de corps that exuded this gathering.

This Sabbath Jennifer and I returned for my 5th Convocation, this time in Sparks, NV. Pastor Kingsley Palmer has organized these events each time I have attended and has been used by the Lord to create an inspirational environment for members to draw closer to one another and to Jesus.

The music and preaching for the Sabbath worship hour was rich. Following lunch we adjourned to the neighboring Y.M.C.A. for the "Bible Bowl"--yours truly was drafted as one of the "judges." How exciting to see these young people energized by their knowledge of the Scriptures.

After a change of clothes following the setting of the sun the evening was devoted to a friendly basketball round-robin tournament. I insisted that "the union office is officially neutral" about which region of the field won. Jennifer enjoyed holding the babies and little kids on her lap while we clapped for our favorite players. Trophies were presented to every team as we shut down the place at 12:15 a.m. Sunday morning.

What a great way to start the week! It was a blessed Sabbath fellowship with our brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment